Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Dubble Bubble


I don't chew gum. Haven't in about 40 years now. My mother loved Juicy Fruit Gum and when I was young I liked Fruit Stripe Gum. What I never ever liked though was Bazooka Bubble Gum. The reason, I believe, was that I first discovered Fleer's Dubble Bubble! Bazooka had the eyepatched bazooka Joe as its mascot but Dubble Bubble had the unfortunately named "Pud." Pud is seen here looking like a younger, plumper version of Waldo in a 1950's comic strip ad for Dubble Bubble.

1 comment:

  1. Steven,

    I was the Creative Director and lead artist for Concord Confections, the company that had acquired Dubble Bubble, from 2002 - 2005 (where it was acquired again, this time by Tootsie Roll.

    Among a lot of the artwork I did at that time was to redesign all the packaging ( http://www.baboonbooks.com/portfolio/Package%20Images/Laydown%20Bags/Confection-bags.html) and in store promotion pieces. At the time of Tootsie Roll getting involved, I was in the middle of writing and drawing 50 brand new Dubble Bubble comics featuring (and yes, he's still called) Pud.

    Richard
    http://www.baboonbooks.com/

    ReplyDelete